12/06/2004

What it means to be a child of God

I can not tell you how many times I have been out of breath from laughing at young children doing silly things. They are so innocent and unware of what they are doing at times that you can not help but giggle because it is so cute. It is sooo much fun to watch them play because they are filled with energy. Everything they do is an all out effort. Did you ever notice that when kids are playing they like to do their best in whatever they are doing. Ok not every child is like this but generally speaking. Children teach us at times more often then adults end up teaching them. A 10 year boy in the family gave his birthday toys away to kids who are in need. I ask myself "would I have done that when I was 10? Would I give up my presents on my next birthday?"
This reminds me of a little street girl that I saw in Columbia. By street girl I mean born, raised, and survives by the street. She probably has no mattress, no pillow, no pjs, no bedtime snack, no protection. She sleeps on the cement underneath a bridge for protection from the weather. Nothing is what she has. Nothing as in material or wealth or goods. She has joy. Now let me tell you the story.
One day we were walking downtown Bogota which was very dangerous because it was a large area for theft. People sleeping in the medians, concked out with the clothes on their back. I almost stepped on a guy too cause i didn't see him lying on the ground. Anyways about the little girl...this little girl walked by a beggar who was holding out a cup and asking for money. She gave him the little money that she had. It was maybe $1.oo at the most! The man was old and seemed to be crippled. After dumping her earnings into the beggar's cup she skipped off with her friend laughing, smiling, and full of life.
Children teach us so much that they do not need to analyze everything they do. Well should I give to this person or should I help this person out with this situation? A child is most likely willing to step in and give a helping hand. Those innocent little hands leave huge fingerprints on whatever they come in contact with.
Basically what i feel like writing about tonight is to remember or re-embrace the fact that you are a child of God. He gives you that joy that innocense. He loves to watch you play and enjoy yourself! God is calling you to come play with him. I think he said he wants to do some finger painting with you! HOW FUN and REWARDING to get to go to work with Daddy?!?!?!

No comments: